Thursday, January 18, 2018

Snowmen at Night Activities

Before Christmas break I was in a classroom where the teacher had been away for a while and there was no plan... But, luckily for myself the students had gym first thing in the morning which gave me just enough time to look up an art lesson on A Faithful Attempt that ended up lasting us pretty well the rest of the day.

So, the first thing I would have done was read the book Snowmen at Night by Caralyn Buehner.... BUT... I couldn't find it in the schools library so I had them listen to it online (which, in case you are unaware, is usually a great option if you can't find a picture book you want your class to hear). While searching for a good version of the story on YouTube I stumbled across a person demonstrating the exact art lesson I wanted my students to do. 

It probably took them close to an hour to get the artwork finished (we watched the video all the way though once then I explained to them that they would be having their snowmen do some kind of activity and then we watched the video a second time but this time I paused it for them every so often.

For those that finished before the day was over I had them write a story to go with their art work... only about half the class ended up getting to this point so I ended up writing a sub plan for the next day's sub (or for the teacher if he was going to return) that the students could finish it.


Here are some of their finished products.










This wasn't the first time I had done this lesson in a classroom last year I did it with some grade 2 students and previous to that I had done it with my grade 5 and 6 students.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...