Saturday, May 26, 2018

This Week At School

Ok... it will really be the last couple of weeks at school because I didn't post one of these last week... what can I say other than it was a long weekend and we were getting out of the big bad city for a bit.

Anyways...

Last week Friday I went with the grade 7's on a field trip.  It was at a University listening to some speakers.

The question on all my lovely readers minds... no we still have not finished Underground to Canada.  We were actually supposed to finish it yesterday but the assembly went quite a bit longer than I had anticipated.  We probably have about 5 pages left to read.  The good news is that because we had about a 10 minute class today I cancelled the end of the book assignment we were going to do because I want them to focus their writing energies on some persuasive essays they are writing.

So, persuasive essays... we're writing them.  My original plan was to do some debates first and then write the essays but instead we did a couple of smaller whole class debates and we will finish off the year doing some group debates.  The reasoning behind this is that I need their essays to be finished by the time I write their report cards.

Anyways, we have some really good topics that some students are choosing
-  Should college athletes be paid to play
-  Should there be no paparazzi
-  Should marijuana be legalized

We just started picking topics and researching but hopefully these essays will start taking shape soon!

TUSC is still going well and we've had some pretty good presentations.  A few that stick out are when "internet pick of the week" showed us Ariana Grande's website, when our demonstrator showed us how to throw a frisbee, the lasagna that the cook brought in, and the slime our science experimenter made for us.

Other than that... you already know about the big end of the day power outage that happened.

Today our school is competing in an ultimate tournament that I'm helping out in.  Should be really hot so it's a good thing I forgot my one and only water bottle at school.

Next week the grade 7's are going to camp for a couple of nights and yours truly is going with them!  It should be fun except that we are leaving Monday after school so I've got a full day of work and then we come back Wednesday after school and work the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...