Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Celebrity Status

Sure, as a substitute teacher you are bound to get noticed every so often (luckily for me I do not live in the area that I do most of my substitute teaching... heck even when I did live in the area I did most of my teaching I didn't recognize any of the kids in the area).

Anywho, yes, you will get noticed.

Yes, you will feel like a rock star.

But how many of you can say you signed a student's crutches?

I'm assuming you are all saying "oh, not me, I've never done that"

And so to all of you I say "exactly".

I must admit I really wanted to be cool enough to sign the kids cast. The entire morning I was like "Oh I hope Shilo asks me to sign his cast" and then at noon when he crutched his way up to me with his crutches already covered in about 20 other teachers autographs asking me if I would add my signature to them I was over the moon.

You see, I don't really know for certain but I'm pretty sure you don't ask someone you hate to sign your crutches. The kid thought I was awesome.

What's even better is that I'm the only sub on his crutches. I told him that he would always remember me as the most fantastic sub ever and for the rest of the day instead of calling me Miss Penner he called me his favourite sub.

Aww...

His cast will come off in a couple of weeks and I'm assuming it will be tossed in the trash along with all those well wishes... he will have his crutches (potentially) for forever.

Now... having said all of this I feel obligated to send out a warning. Don't just sign kids things willy nilly. You might get in trouble for signing their bike, binder, or forehead. This particular kid was old enough to know that it was ok for people to sign them AND multiple other teachers had thought nothing of it to go ahead and scrawl their name on them. Yes, I likely could have gotten in a bit of trouble. No, I do not know what his parents thought of his crutches when he got home that afternoon. But I like to live life on the edge... the edge being signing things you maybe shouldn't be... I'm basically a daredevil over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...