Saturday, April 14, 2018

This Week At School

Let me tell you something... maybe the first week back to school after spring break wasn't busy for this substitute but the 2nd week back looked very familiar to the first week back from winter break for me.

So I got a call from the division that I only occasionally work for... it's usually a half day here and there when I happen to not be working somewhere else.  I don't recall exactly how that automated system call thing works but I knew when it was telling me about the job that it was going to be more than one day.  I guess I was pretty lucky though because it ended up being for 9 days! 

Now I don't know if you are aware (likely not because I'm sure it's different in different divisions/provinces/countries) but here when you work a certain number of days for the same person in a row you get paid what you would earn as a regular teacher (I guess they figure at some point you are doing some degree of planning).  In this division it just so happens to be on the 6th day you start earning your teachers wages (the previous division this happened to me in I'm pretty sure it happened on the 5th day).  AND... the go ahead and back pay you to the first day of the assignment.  So, not only do I nearly have 2 full weeks of work in this particular class but I'm also getting paid a lot more to be there.

In order to accept this job I did have to cancel some other jobs that I already had lined up... but it was only 3 (and I don't know if you realize this but 9 days is quite a bit more than 3)

ANYWHO...

This week at school I....

- Was in the same school every single day

- We had the colours of our clothing decided for us on 3 days this week! On Wednesday we wore pink for Pink Shirt Day (psst... it may be passed the date of Pink Shirt Day but it's never too late to discuss bullying... click here to see what I've done in the pass and for a free resource!), on Thursday we wore green and yellow to show our support for The Broncos, and on Friday we wore white because our NHL team made it to the playoffs and were showing our white out support!


Pink, Yellow, and White (supporting the end of bullying, the Humboldt Broncos, and the Jets Whiteout)

- I've been teaching grade 7... but only one subject of grade 7 to just one class. This means I've had a lot of empty slots in my timetable so I've just been floating to here and there and everywhere helping out where I can.

- It was staff appreciation! If you're wondering if I partook in the Brookside chocolates... you better believe I did because they are fantastic.
-  I've slowly been collecting things that get me places in this school... on Wednesday they gave me an ID badge and yesterday I got a key to the iPads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...