Saturday, January 26, 2019

This Week At School

It was a busy (and cold) week at school this week!

Our typically wintery temperatures officially caught up with us this week and I was often running outside to run my car during the first bit of the lunch hour so that it would start after school - temperatures dipped below -25 degrees Celsius but with the wind factored in it's usually about 10 degrees colder! Needless to say this also meant indoor recess'.

I started off the week in a new to me school where I was the science teacher. The teacher was only part time though but since they can only book subs in for half days and full days I just had a lot of preps... so I also helped out in the library and put up part of a bulletin board... it was a pretty easy day.

Tuesday I was at the school of 9 kids. I was supposed to have all 9 but we decided to keep them split up in early and middle years so I ended up only having 4 in the morning. For the afternoon I had to switch schools and usually there would have been a good size class at this school but most of the students were out doing other activities (and by most I mean all but 1).... so I had one student in the afternoon. We read and studied for a test and then joined the early years room (which only had 4 students) for some art and a video.

Here is my version of the abstract art that we did


It's a super easy concept for most kids to understand... stay tuned to the blog for a post about it!

The next day was only a half day and this time it actually stayed a half day (no one went home sick and needed to book me last minute). Nothing too amazing happened at this school.... regular sized classroom of about 24 students.

On Thursday I was at a school I haven't been to in about a year! It was a busy class of grade 2/3 students. This day ended up getting extended until Friday which worked out perfectly as my Friday got cancelled Thursday morning! We did a lot of writing (they were really into making comic and flip books), Dreambox, and Jump Math. On the Friday I did a Valentine's Day art activity (stay tuned to the blog to see what exactly we did)

One of the schools I was at this week had a room in each class to be used as closets (actually, a number of the older schools in this particular division have these coat rooms)... with all their winter gear packed in there it's overcrowded without there being a single person in there!

School coat room


Finally, one of my students made me a picture on Friday.


No idea who Emma is (it wasn't anyone in our room or myself)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...