Thursday, September 05, 2019

Returning to my old Elementary School

This school year I mentioned that I had returned to my old elementary school to do some subbing. 

I mentioned that some things had changed (the staff is different, the classrooms are changed, and there no longer is grade 6's at the school - in fact I was in the last class of grade 6 students to ever be at this school)!

But there are things at this school that I never realized were so nice to have...

We had 2 stairwells that were HUGE. Like you could probably easily fit 5 kids across on the stairs at a time... that's how big they are. We must have evacuated for fire drills lickity split.

We had lockers (so I actually had a locker to use all the way from grade 1-12). I don't think we were aloud to put locks on the lockers but we had them for storing our stuff in (and I also can't remember if we always had our own locker) whereas most other elementary schools I've been to have hooks either inside the classroom or in the hallway.

But there were also some things that I feel the school lacked...

The windows are small and don't let in much natural light. Remember this classroom... what a dream!



Some of the classrooms are kind of small? Maybe they are just mid range in size.... but if I had a classroom of my own I would want it to be quite large so the children have room to spread out. Check out what I would want for my ideal classroom here and how I would organize it here.

They also no longer had a computer lab any more (but I'm seeing this more and more now).  The weird thing was they changed what had been the computer lab into a bike lab?  I never did get a clear explanation (from my students) as to what a bike lab was.

What about you?
Have you ever returned to your old elementary school?  Was it surprising what had all changed or did things stay pretty well how you remembered them?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...