Saturday, February 09, 2019

This Week At School

It was another week of indoor recess' up here in my part of Canada (including one snowy for some divisions outside of the city - I was scheduled to work inside the city that day though).

grade 1/2 classroom

On Monday I was covering for a bunch of teachers at one of the schools I frequent as they went to meetings. This is always kind of nice because it means if you have one rougher class that you likely are only actually with them for about an hour. Unfortunately, myself and that one "rougher" class kept bumping into each other throughout the day (I ended up having them 3 times throughout the day). Otherwise the day was good... I even got a bunch of reading in of the novel that I brought along with me.

On Tuesday I was at the colony school which is usually a fairly easy day. This time I was in the middle years room which meant they were on their computers for a good amount of the time and I was reminding them to stay on the websites they were supposed to be on.

On Wednesday I was back at one of the schools I frequent. We did a math Valentine's Day activity that likely could have taken up 4 hours of the day (no one actually got the whole thing completed). They also did a WWI Instagram activity and reading (amongst other things).

The last 2 days of the week I was in the same classroom (which lucky for me was actually a wonderful class - so I obviously left my name and number in the hopes that I might get to return one day soon). It was a 1/2 split and they were some of the smartest grade 1's and 2's that I've had the pleasure of subbing for. BUT, these days were extra special because I got to go back to my old elementary school. Since it was indoor recess one of the students insisted on taking me on a tour of the school so we could see if anything had changed since I was there. The staff is all different, there no longer is a computer lab (it's a bike lab now?? - no one was sure what that meant), and the classrooms have all been changed around (my kindergarten classroom is no longer a kindergarten class). They also have a dance room and elevator now. They loved watching some Storyline Online and Sid The Science Kid.

Something nice that they did at this school was they had a basket of fresh fruit in each of the classrooms. This way if a student didn't bring a snack or wanted something more to eat they had a healthy option to eat at school (and a lot of them did eat something from the basket)

healthy school snack basket

All in all it was a busy but good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...