Monday, June 10, 2019

What Parents Need to Know About Age Ratings

This summer I'm doing a series on What Parent's Need to Know about *insert some type of online thing here*... because it's not just parents that need to know these things but teachers too AND if there is one thing we all know it's that online stuff changes so often it's hard to keep up (especially when you aren't even using that app/program)!

Today I'm talking about Age Ratings

This is a UK age ratings poster (which I actually didn't realize any of this stuff was from the UK until just now when I didn't recognize the ratings... but still good information for those of us that live elsewhere too)



If you are in the USA click here to see your film ratings
and if you are in Canada click here

My take away from this, be aware of what you are showing kids (or what games kids are playing - more on this in a later post) because they are likely not all playing age appropriate game (which you may be okay with and that's your prerogative). 
Also, be aware of what the different ratings mean and check to see why it's rated that way. Maybe you're okay with a little foul language but not violence - the film will say what it was rated that way.
I'm not sure what Netflix is like in other countries but here we can view what the rating of a show or movie is before watching it so check for that... but I'm not sure what other services are like.
And finally, games and music have ratings too... I feel like sometimes we forget about that (especially if you are like me and didn't play video games growing up).


Want to know more about this kind of stuff? Last week I talked about a big one... screen addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...