Saturday, March 21, 2020

This Week at School

What an odd week at school this was...

For those of us that are living under a rock (but still somehow manage to read here) there is a virus sweeping through the world called the Corona Virus.  People are getting sick and even dying from it so it's very serious.  Last Friday the province I live in announced that it would be closing schools for 3 weeks starting on the 23rd (so this week was our last week of school).  Now, they say 3 weeks and I really hope that's all the time we need but people are also saying that it might be until May and others are saying it might be for the rest of the year... which isn't ideal for someone like me who relies on schools being open and teachers being away.

Anyways, this week at school..

On Monday I think there were roughly 100/500 student absent.  The majority of my classes had a decent amount in them except for my homeroom which dropped from 11 in the morning to only 6 still attending by the end of the day.

On Tuesday I had one student in my classroom (and for the remainder of the week).  Needless to say she got everything she needed to finished and is likely leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of her class.

By Wednesday a 2nd class was down to only 1 student that I taught.  It was at this time I decided that we likely weren't going to be doing much teaching anymore.

Which brings us to Thursday where I brought a big bag of easy to learn games.  I taught a group of students Farkle and they loved it so much we found instructions to play online and they continued to play it even when I wasn't with them... which is awesome because it does involve a lot of math.

And by Friday we had our first class of no students.  The entire school (which normally has over 500 students) was down to just 38 students.  I baked cookies in the morning with a few girls (and then we ate the cookies) and played some Skipbo... and that was pretty much my day.

This was what my classroom looked like at the end of the day... those chairs that are taken off the tables are the only chairs we took down that day.



Anyways, there is officially no school on Monday and students are expected to log in online to see what their assignments are for the day... hopefully some of them actually do this.  I'm unsure of what that means for my blog as I rely on things happening at school for a large part of my content.  I THINK, for at least the next 3 weeks, I'll be posting just once a week (plus a TWAS) on Wednesday's.  Hopefully it only lasts 3 weeks.

Stay safe everyone and stay healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...