Thursday, July 24, 2014

A Day in the Life (Part 3)

Here is part 3 of the series... here is part 1 and part 2 (in case you missed them)


Then there are the students


Like most teachers I to have a list in my head (no, I have not written it down anywhere) of names that I would not name any future children I may have because of kids with those names.

I once was teaching art. Can we all just agree that art is a great class (for students)? They get to be creative, draw, paint, mold with clay, and then clean it all up afterwards (plus, if you have me as your substitute teacher you will likely get music put on as well). I REALLY like substitute teaching for art. This was not one of those days that I loved though.

I had one student (one student can ruin your entire day). This one student decided to be the biggest jerk I have ever encountered whilst substitute teaching. He would not stop talking or wandering around the room. He refused to do anything. At one point he was making some kind of tower of all the stools that people were sitting on... at another time I'm pretty sure he was attempting to plank on the stool. It was awful.

Yes, I'm a substitute teacher. This means that I was not this classes regular teacher. But I don't think having a substitute teacher is any excuse to throw common respect out the window. This student had zero respect for me and made me feel like dirt. It was an awful day... because of one student (as far as I remember the rest of the classes were actually wonderful but what sticks out in my head from that day was that one kid). I actually never went back to that school because I didn't want to have to deal with that student again... that's how awful it was.

We've all had experiences with students who just won't listen.  You can find some tips I've come up with here on how to at least get their attention.  Any secrets you have for dealing with an unruly student?

Next week:  "the worst is when you have the entire class misbehave"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...