Thursday, August 14, 2014

A Day in the Life (Part 6)

This is the last installment in this series if you missed the last 6 weeks you can find them all here:

The question remains.. why do I substitute teach?


For myself it was because I wanted to one day have one of those allusive classrooms of my own. Where I work you need to have your education degree (which is a 5 year university program) to be a teacher OR substitute teacher. You cannot do either without your teaching certificate. Unfortunately, a classroom of my own seems nearly impossible when the 3 universities in my province (I'm in Canada) are pushing out hundreds of education grads every year. If you do some very simple math you would therefore need hundreds of teaching jobs to open up every single year in order for everyone to get a job. This just doesn't happen. So while I waited to get my own classroom I kept my foot in every door possible by substitute teaching.

This year I have been fortunate to FINALLY have that classroom of my own and I am currently teaching grade 4 every morning, and in the afternoons I teach grade 5 French and grade 8 ELA. It's a big job for my very first full year term but I've (almost) survived it!

I'm super thankful to be sitting on the other side of the sub plan... the one writing it (not reading it) and I hope that my substitute teachers appreciate the work I put into the plan to help them have a really awesome day.

So, I just wanted to say thanks to substitute teachers.  It wasn't so long ago that I was one of you and I know what it is like.  Thanks for accepting our last minute teaching assignments, thanks for dealing with our unruly students, thanks for filling time in sub plans when we don't give you enough to teach.  For without you lovely people teachers would not be able to take a day off... and let's face it... we all need a day off every so often!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...