Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Maker's Space

This is something that was just becoming an idea in a division I worked for while I was teaching in my grade 5/6 classroom as I was leaving that division... so I'm going to be honest... I don't know much about it.  But the internet definitely knows about it!

I was only in 1 classroom throughout this entire school year that had a Maker's Space in it... and this is what it looked like

Posters for ideas of what can be done with paper and expectations



And a bunch of supplies on the shelves below the posters... not pictured was all the Lego they had (I guess in the past it had become a problem so it was away in the cupboard)

From my understanding a Makerspace is a safe place where students can design, build, and test ideas they have.  

We ended up using the Makerspace the day I was in this classroom to build a specific habitat (that the student groups chose) with any of the supplies they wanted (and yes, the Lego was a HUGE hit).

The students versions of different habitats

Anyways, this was this classrooms Makerspace... I can imagine if a school had a shared Makerspace a lot of other materials might be found in it or if the students were older (this was a grade 3 class) they might be able to use more complicated things like building circuits, robotics, or photography.

Do you have a Makerspace at your school (or have you been at a school with one)?  
I would love to learn more!

Psst last week I shared what some teachers are doing to make some comfy spots for kids to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...