Saturday, July 13, 2019

This Week OFF From School

This week was all about relaxation... and I must admit that I did not get a lot of things on my "to do" list checked off (like organizing all my teaching stuff that is sitting in bins and binders into my filing cabinet... I've been putting that off for a year now!)

Anyways, what I did manage to do this week was...

I went to the lake!  My in laws have a cottage at a lake not too far away from the city so we FINALLY made the trip out there for a weekend.  Unfortunately, we were experiencing some haze from wildfires in neighbouring provinces so although the sun was shining we didn't actually see it a lot of the time.  Regardless we still went for a boat ride and some people jumped in the lake (I did not).

I went strawberry picking!  I'm super lucky that one of the closer berry picking spots to where I live is also the cheapest AND it's organic (not that I necessarily go out of my way to buy anything organic but it's nice to know that no pesticides are used for when I'm snacking in the patch).  

I managed to pick 2 baskets (and when I weighed them they came to just over 11 pounds of strawberries!).  Apparently we eat a lot of strawberries around here though as I've been told that we need 2 more baskets still.


Fresh strawberries

What do we do with all our strawberries?

Strawberries spaced out ready to go in the freezer
We freeze most of them to use in smoothies and I'm planning to make a strawberry rhubarb pie for some friends (hopefully with the next 2 baskets that I pick).  I also gave some to my masseuse and for the next couple of weeks we'll be enjoying some strawberry mason jar salads (which I usually make a bunch of on Sunday for John and I to eat as lunches during the week).

Strawberry, Blueberry, Feta, and Lettuce salad

We collected the first large item from our garden!
Garden zucchini (soup can there for size reference)

Our first zucchini!  This one we will cook tomorrow for dinner with some parmesan cheese and herbs sprinkled on top.  Yum!

I went for a massage and pedicure this week.

I got together with a friend that I hadn't seen in 2 years for lunch!

It was cool enough on Friday morning to go for a run (which I hadn't done since June so it was definitely time to start that up again).

I made some vanilla ice cream to go with that pie I do have every intention of making still!

I also made some zucchini chocolate cake (but not from the zucchini from our garden this year... we're still trying to use up some stuff we shredded and froze from last year).

I cleaned our laundry room!  When we first moved in we took down old curtains and changed out the shower curtains and kind of just dumped it all in a corner of our laundry room... well I decided if it had been sitting there for over a year we likely weren't going to miss it if I tossed it... so tossed it I did.

I splurged and bought a new bathing suit.  It's definitely one of the more expensive articles of clothing I've ever bought (which is surprising for me to say since it's just a bathing suit)... so here's hoping I like it!  It's in the mail (so I haven't even tried it on) and should be here in a week or 2.

Oh, and I read about half a book (I'm currently reading 3 so maybe that's ok... except what I'm not telling you is that I actually read very little of it during the week)... hoping to finish it this week!

All in all (except for maybe the lack of filing cabinet organizing) I would say it was a fairly successful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...