Monday, October 14, 2019

Mrs. Nelson is Missing Art Activity

If you haven't had a substitute teacher in your class yet chances are it won't be too far from now that you do.  Here's an art activity from Confessions of a Kindergarten Teacher to plan to do with your kids (maybe while a substitute teacher is in the class or afterwards?).

Plus, if you happen to find yourself substitute teaching with very little planned for you I feel like this is something you could easily whip up on the spot (now that you've seen it)

What I like about it?

It uses an oldie but a goodie... Mrs Nelson is Missing by Harry Allard.  

If you don't have the book (and you can't find it in the school library you can easily find it on YouTube.

What I would do:

1) Read (or listen to it if using YouTube) the book aloud to the class!
2) Make a decision: either you'll compare Viola Swamp to yourself or you'll compare Miss Swamp to their regular teacher (personally, I think it would be fun to compare her to myself as I'm the one currently there but I can also understand the rational behind using the classes actual teacher as you likely won't be there tomorrow and she/he will).
3)  Make the venn diagram comparing the 2 people (you may have to look back in the book to help them remember some details about Viola.
4)  Bring out the construction paper!  All you need is white, black, and yellow (so once again easy) and maybe another piece of paper to glue their master pieces onto!

My guess is this could easily take up at least an hour.
(and when the teacher comes back the next day she gets to see what a wonderful plan you came up with!)

Also, Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!
Today we are celebrating by going to a wedding!
psst.... did you also know that today is my husband and I's 3rd year anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...