Monday, September 10, 2018

5 Things to Keep You Organized as Substitute Teacher

It's that time of year again! School has been back in session for precisely a week now and so I'm hoping to start getting subbing jobs any day now (I currently have one booked... for the end of October... something will definitely come up before that though!). So, I've compiled a list of 5 things that I think could help any substitute teacher keep it together.

1) An Agenda Book

This is a must for me. I substitute teach in 3 different divisions so I can't rely on the sub systems not to double book me (mostly because they all use different ones). When I book a day I write it in my agenda to make sure I don't double book myself and on Sunday's I usually double check to make sure I haven't double booked myself and put in all my unavailability for the different divisions. I also use my agenda to make some notes about the classes I visit. Did I have a good day? Do I want to go back (or more importantly... do I not want to go back?). Finally I use it to keep track of what divisions I've worked for and when so that I can make sure my pay and everything looks correct.

2) Lunches Ready To Go

This last year I was pretty fortunate to often have the majority of my subbing days booked in advance. But there was the occasional day when I booked something last minute. On those days it's good to have something for lunch ready to go... just in case. Be it dinner from last night or a pizza pop.. it just needs to be something. Especially if you don't want to be spending money on your lunch. Some things I do is freeze leftovers in ready to grab containers, make mason jar salads, and I always, always, ALWAYS have a bunch of muffins in the freezer just ready to grab.

3) Packed Bag

I showed you all this picture of my winter gear all packed up. In the nicer months I really don't need to grab much on my way out the door (wallet, keys, phone and that's pretty much it - I used to always bring a picture book to share with the class and leave gym clothes in my car just in case that ended up being my assignment but I really haven't done either of these in a while). Everything is often just stored in my purse so it's not really a problem but in the winter it is handy to keep everything together and ready to grab just in case.

4) Wake Up!

If you are really a keener ahem*I've never actually done this*ahem you should make sure you wake up at a reasonable hour every morning just in case a school calls you last minute. This means, waking up and going about your morning acting as if you are going into work so that you can leave as soon as you get that call (if need be). Like I said, I've never done this. Does this mean I never accept last minute calls? On the contrary. I just grab a quick breakfast and dash out the door somewhat put together. To be fair, I'm usually awake by the time my husband leaves in the morning... but if I can lounge around in bed for another hour... why wouldn't I?

5) Charged Phone

Chances are if you've accepted a job the morning of that your phone must at least be somewhat charged... you did accept that job after all. I've been in the subbing circuit for a number of years now but I still sometimes don't know where a school is or exactly how to get there. That's when I pull out my handy phone and type in the name of the school and a route comes up lickity split for me. It saves me the time of writing out directions. Of course, if you have a car charger for your phone I guess you don't really have this problem.... but some of us don't have that luxury ok?

Did I miss anything? What is something that helps keep you organized as a substitute teacher?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...