Saturday, March 09, 2019

This Week At School

Another busy week at school!

For some reason one of the schools I was at this week still had an indoor recess (I'm quite sure that the other schools nearby likely did not have an indoor recess though so no one was quite sure why we had decided that). I also had a day of outdoor recess duty but luckily for me it has started to warm up (it's not in the positives yet but it's warmer than -20 which is lovely). I hadn't had outdoor duty in a long time so I guess my time had finally come up.

Last week I was helping some students come up with a design for their spaghetti bridges and this week I was helping them to start constructing them. I'll find out next week if they had much success with their designs.

I was in a new to me classroom this week... it ended up being French immersion which despite having taught basic French for part of a year I usually try to avoid French immersion. It was a chatty group of grade 2 students though so you know they loved to help me with reading some of those French words and you know they also loved it when I said we would be speaking in mostly English that day.

One of my classes had an assignment to do on Roman Numerals... adding them, subtracting them, writing out long lengthy numbers (like 1974) in Roman Numerals. It was during this assignment that I learned right along with them what it meant if there was a line over one of the letters (it means to multiply that number by 1000) and how they would have multiplied their Roman Numerals (which is actually kind of interesting and I was surprised it actually worked out when we tried it with some basic multiplication facts. Why they had such a long (and in my opinion difficult) assignment on Roman Numerals I'll never know... I guess there is always the chance that it might come back bigger than what it currently is.

Finally, on Friday I took my class on a short community walk. They call it their km walk in the community so my guess is the route we take supposed to be about a kilometer long.

Fun fact: On the way to work on Friday I heard about what the top 3 jobs are that kids think they want when they get older... I can't remember what #1 was but #2 was to be a blogger... which I was pretty surprised by because it involved writing...  If the class I was in on Friday was any indication on what the future bloggers will be like... well let's just say they don't like to write so I'm not sure how blogging will work out.  #3 on the list was to be a Youtube or Instagram star (which is no surprise except that I am surprised that it wasn't higher on the list).

Just 2 more weeks until Spring Break!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...