Saturday, March 16, 2019

This Week At School

We may not be having indoor recess' so often anymore but that doesn't mean we can't have a snow day still!.... the odd thing about this snow day (which even I as a substitute teacher got to partake in this time) was that I'm not sure more than a handful of snow fell in the city I live in (I do sub in a division outside of the city... which is the one that cancelled classes for that day).
Anyways, this week I was a nursery/kindergarten teacher and a middle years teacher... neither are jobs that I would ideally want to have my one day classroom be in and surprisingly out of the 2 grades I taught this week I much preferred the nursery and kindergarten class!

So, in nursery and kindergarten we practiced some printing, read a bunch of books, and played... a lot!  It was also one of the students birthdays and she brought in cupcakes for the class (which may or may not have contributed to it being my favourite class for this week).

In middle years I read a lot of Underground to Canada.  It's interesting reading it years later (I think I read it in grade 7) the thins I now noticed about it... like when the girls stumbled upon the Mennonite Colony.  I actually had 2 days in middle years this week and one of those days was WAY better than the other... you know what really grinds my gears?  When kids think they can just sit around and do nothing for the majority of the day.  It's like come on... school is your job and since you've managed to wake up and make it here it's time to get at least a little something accomplished today.

St. Patrick's day is this weekend and I did not do a single thing related to it (I imagine I might have had I spent more time in elementary school... maybe?).  But one of the classrooms was decorated for it!

St Patrick's Day in the classroom

St Patrick's Day decorations



If you're looking for an art activity for St Patrick's day (you could do it a day late) here's one I did when I taught grade 4 (well, actually I had a substitute teacher do it so it was fairly simple)

One more week until Spring Break!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...